Monday, May 22, 2006

Hierarchical conclusion

Throughout my blogs I have tried not to favour either hierarchical or collaborative forms of writing and have seen the benefits in both systems. I have advocated a dialogic process which matches the benefits of a hierarchical system with a colloborative system. Emphasising collaboration is important not just for building important business skills for after university but peer editing and one to one tutorials can improve a writers skills. Society is ultimately hierarchial and such systems always at some point restate themselves (at university this is done through grading) so emphasis on collaboration must be aimed at first-year students or at students before they come to college as Nikki suggests.

Throughout this dialogue I have found Tom's notion of an inherent voice in language misguided and have placed the emphasis on ritual. I see 'voice' as a positive affect of language which is seperate from the author, I think it is an incredibly important aspect of creative writing and I would argue that in the Gibbelins essay we have analysed the student has shown great potential for the development of 'voice'. However I again must emphasis the importance of the academic at university and consider these conditions should be met first before we continue on 'voice'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home